Reitz High School

Reitz High School
Evansville, IN

Friday, January 3, 2014

Blogging Challenge

Ok, this blogging challenge/homework has been going around for a little while now and it got around to me thanks to my friend and former colleague, Brett Clark!


HERE ARE THE RULES OF THE CHALLENGE:
1.  Acknowledge the nominating blogger.
2.  Share 11 random facts about yourself.
3.  Answer the 11 questions the nominating blogger has created for you.

4.  List 11 bloggers. They should be bloggers you believe deserve a little recognition and a little blogging love!
5. Post 11 questions for the bloggers you nominate to answer and let all the bloggers know they’ve been nominated. (You cannot nominate the blogger who nominated you.) (Don't feel obligated to do this.  You won't hurt my feelings if you don't.) 


11 Random Facts

1) When I was four years old, I got my finger stuck in a gumball machine.  It took the police and fire department to finally break the machine apart to get my finger out.
2) I have a Barbie collection.  I started it when my wife was pregnant with our first daughter 16 years ago.
3) I used to sing bass in a gospel quartet and we recorded two CD's.
4) Facts about my daughter's best friend:  Her mother and my wife are from the same town in West Virginia.  Her dad and I have known each other since elementary school.  We now live four houses apart.  How weird is that?
5) You may unfollow me after this one.  I have seen a UFO and believe it is possible for Bigfoot, aka Sasquatch, to exist.
6) I am a huge Disney, Star Wars, and Hobbit/Lord of the Rings Fan.
7) I am now a fan of the two High School teams that my Alma Mater rivaled the most.  I work at one and my daughter attends the other.  It is funny how things work out.
8) I want to write a book about eLearning, sort of an eLearning for Dummies book.
9) I love my job.  I love teaching adults.  They are so much like the kids I used to teach.  I love to watch a group of teachers get excited about wanting to go back and try something new I have shown them, in their classrooms.
10) I collect military, police, and fire department memorabilia.  I love and respect those that help and protect others.  Along with great teachers, they are true heroes.
11) I won the Senior Business Student Award in High School.  I declared my major of accounting in college.  After my first semester in college, I realized that was NOT what I wanted to do.



My 11 questions from Brett

1) What is the most rewarding professional experience you've ever had? 

My position as an eLearning coach has allowed me to help teachers make classrooms more engaging and exciting for students.  As I visit the rooms, and see the excitement transferred to the students, that is most rewarding for me.

2) If you were made the emperor of education, what would be the first 3 things you would change? 

1. Make classrooms as paperless as possible.  2. Find a way to evaluate students/teachers/schools without standardized testing.  3. Encourage creativity among teachers and students in order to make school a place kids want to be, not dread coming to. 

3) What was the last book you read for fun? The Wild Blue (It is about George McGovern's pilot missions in WWII)  for work?  I read blog posts and professional articles daily, not much time for books.  :(

4) Who is your favorite director?  


J.J. Abrams

5) If you could be on any TV show, what show would you want to be on? 


 Finding Bigfoot

6) Paperback, hardback, or eBooks?  


It depends on the topic.  Generally eBooks.  For references with a lot of pictures, like WWII uniforms, I like hardback.

7) Who's your favorite celebrity to follow on twitter? 


Jase Roberston
 
8) How close or far away are you right now from where you thought you would be at this point in your life when you were a kid?  


For my career, I love where I am right now.  I wish I would have made it here sooner.  It took 18 years, but at year 21, I am very excited and passionate about what I do.  Life in general, I have the most amazing wife and awesome daughters a man could ever have.  I am blessed way more than I deserve.  I guess in those departments, I am further along than I ever thought I would be.

9) What's the most embarrassing hair style you've ever had? Bonus points if you include a pic!  


No pic at the moment, but in 5th grade I started parting my hair down the middle.  It was pretty humorous as I see old pictures of it.   Pics to come in the future.

10) I always loved how baseball players have a song they walk up to when they bat. What song would you pick? 
 


Either Back in Black or Darth Vader's Imperial March.

11) What's your favorite browser and how many tabs do you have open? (I'm really looking for affirmation that I'm not the only one with an addiction to tabs.)  


Firefox and I have around 11 tabs open on a normal basis.

11 Bloggers I Nominate

Tim Wilhelmus
Brian Bennett
Michelle Green
Jason Bailey
Candice Dodson
Allie Holland
JD Ferries-Rowe
Bill Ferriter
Ira Socal
Tom Whitby
DeLyn Beard

My 11 questions for you.

1.  What is your favorite thing about your job?
2.  What does your ideal classroom look like?
3.  How can students/teachers/schools be held accountable without being a slave to "The Test"
4.  What are your hobbies/interests?  How did you get interested in them?
5.  What is your favorite song and why?
6.  What is your favorite movie and why?
7.  What do you want to be when you grow up or are you reached it?  Explain.
8.  How has technology changed your life in the last 5 years?
9.  How should technology change education in the next 5 years?
10.   What are you passionate about?  You can list more than one.
11.  Who or what has had the most influence on you as a person and where you are now?

No comments:

Post a Comment