Reitz High School

Reitz High School
Evansville, IN

Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Take a Little Digital Detox Time



I am going to keep this week’s post short and sweet.  Our school corporation has been out for snow and ice over the last few days.   I have to say that I am as bad as the kids.  I love snow days even if we have to make them up.  There is just something special about the surprise of a snow day that makes it more fun than a scheduled day off. 

Besides baking and not eating a good diet, my family and I watched some good movies and played some awesome games on our various devices.  I have to say that my favorite part of the time off was when we got out the old fashioned board game of Monopoly.  It brought back so many great memories of my childhood.  I enjoyed seeing my daughters get into the game.  We were rolling dice, buying properties, building houses, going to jail, and winning the free parking jackpot.  We simply had a ball.

Now don’t get me wrong, I am a gadget and technology nut.  I love the latest video game as much as techno geek.  I would love to get my hands on a PS4 hooked up to my big screen TV with an HDMI cable in 1080p and race in a McLaren F1 sports car or play a FPS and jump off of buildings.  I enjoy all of those things.  I love to see what is happening on Facebook or tweet out a good eLearning resource I come across.  It was also very nice not to be interrupted from a chime or a buzz from my smartphone or my daughters’ phones and play a game together as a family around the kitchen table.   

So, in your time off over this holiday season, please take some time for some digital detox.  Turn off the Instagram, Facebook, Texting, Twitter, Snap chat and make some device free time.  It may also be a good idea just to take the phone off of the hook if you still have a landline.  Get your family together for a good old-fashioned board game of Life, Sorry, Clue, Battleship or Monopoly.  I think you will be glad you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment