Reitz High School

Reitz High School
Evansville, IN

Friday, February 22, 2013

The Dance Debate

-->
             Since the first time my wife and I heard the song “The Dance” by Garth Brooks, we have had a debate about it.  It amazes me how two people can listen to the same song and have two complete opposite opinions about it.  I believe it is one of the greatest love songs ever written.  In fact, I have told my wife, if I pass away early in life, I would like it played at my funeral.  She, on the other hand does not want to play it or even listen to it.  She claims that it is just plain too depressing.  If you have not heard it, you really need to listen to the song as a prerequisite for reading this article. 

            In case you have not heard the song, here is the basic gist of it.  The song talks about how it is best that we do not know what lies ahead in our future because it would change the decisions we are making now.  The song refers to a woman that has lost her husband early in life.  If I remember correctly, the music video showed footage of JFK and the First Lady in Dallas the day he was assassinated.  The song goes on to say that the time they spent together was awesome, but if she had only known how it was going to end, she may have married someone else to save her from the tragedy, but in turn would have missed out on the best part of her life.  The chorus says, “I am glad I didn’t know the way it all would end.  I could have missed the pain, but I would have to have missed the dance.”

            As I said, I don’t think this is a depressing song.  It is a song that makes you think.  I would hope that most married couples feel that the time they have spent with their spouse is worth it, especially if it ends early due to an uncontrollable circumstance such as a vehicle accident or a health problem.  If something like that would have changed your decision to marry them, then you probably are not married to the right person.  If you are not willing to say, “No matter what happens in our life, I would marry you all over again,” then you are not married to the right person.  Just to set the record straight, I would.  From here on out, no matter what, I would marry my wife over and over again.  She is the best wife and mother to our daughters.

            So, I leave you with this.  If you knew years ago how things were going to be right now, would you go back and make a different choice that would change your life?  What would be the trade off?  Would you then miss out on the best parts of your current life to avoid some pain?  Would it be worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment