Reitz High School

Reitz High School
Evansville, IN

Thursday, January 3, 2013

What Is Your Dream Job?




            A few months ago, my boss asked our eLearning team what our dream job would be if we could have it.  He wanted us to think about it because he was setting up appointments to meet with each one of us and this was going to be part of the discussion.  During my meeting, I told him that I love my job.  It is by far the best job I have ever had and what I am doing now is what I was born to do.  I love to make people happy.  I get to do that every day as I show teachers how to do something they can use, or show them a tool that will make their life easier.  I love to be able to answer questions quickly, find solutions, and make people smile.

            I remember what it was like to be in the classroom with a need or a question.  Sometimes it was like pulling teeth to get help or find someone that could answer a question for me.  Occasionally I felt like people just didn’t care, they were too busy, or that I was not a priority.  I don’t want anyone that I work with to ever have that feeling.  I strive to make a difference for my school corporation and the eLearning department.  I remember sitting in class during my 8th grade year listening to my industrial arts teacher.  It was the first week of school and his room was short about ten stools for the students to sit on.  He made the following statement: “If everything runs like it normally does in our corporation, then we should have those stools by Christmas time.”  I have never forgotten what he said and I don’t want to have that type of reputation.

            When you enjoy what you are doing so much that it doesn’t feel like work, then you are doing the right thing.  But if you hate going to work everyday, then you need to find something else to do.  Life is too short to wake up every morning and dread where you are headed.  That doesn’t mean you won’t ever have a bad day, but the bad days should be few and far between.  How do you feel each morning about your day ahead?  Do you love it?  Do you have anxiety about it?  Could you keep doing it forever?  Do you need to make a change? 

            So, what is your dream job?  Is it one that pays more money?  We all would love to make more money.  I am not going to lie, I would love to earn more money, but it is not the most important thing.  My job meets my family’s needs of food, shelter, clothes, and transportation.  It also pays for many of my family’s wants.  If your salary is meeting your needs, and you love what you do, then keep doing what you are doing.  There are plenty of people that are making six figures, but dislike what they do, never have time for family, or experience a crazy amount of stress.  My mother always said, “Money will NOT buy you happiness.”

            For the year 2013, I would like to challenge you.  Write down five to ten things that would be necessities for your dream job.  Set goals on how you can make those five to ten things happen.  You cannot just say you want them, your really have to set goals and decide how you are going to achieve them.  Now go and start working toward those goals.  What is stopping you?  Start working today for what you have always wanted to do.  If you wait for it to happen, it never will.  Make some contacts.  Talk to people.  Lets make this thing happen!  Lets make 2013 the year things started happening for you!  Lastly, I would like to recommend the book 48 Days to the Work You Love by Dan Miller.  It is available at Amazon and you can get it in audio format as well.   Check it out and make it a Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment